• You can register for the payment plan only after your first semester of classes. First semester students are required pay their tuition and fees upon initial registration. The payment plan is administered through the Cashier's Office.

  • It is very important that you are registered for classes no later than the first Friday of each semester. All classes should be added or dropped in the same timeframe. You are strongly encouraged to solidify your schedule by then. Being registered for classes full time (12-16 hours) is required of all F-1 students. Please visit www.hocking.edu/cashiers for more information regarding Hocking College's Refund Policy.

  • Contact an International Student Services staff member to let them know that you plan not to attend classes. The staff will inform you of how your status can/will be affected by not attending, as well as any applicable refunds as follows:

    Withdraw before the start of the Term: 100% refund
    Withdraw first day of term up through the 15th calendar day of the term: 85% refund
    Withdraw after the 15th calendar day of the term: 0% refund
    Flex Classes: No charge before the start of the course. Full charge after the start of the class.

    Being registered for classes full time (12-16 hours) is required of all F-1 students.

  • If your I-20 is going to expire, contact the International Student Services staff for a new 1-20. An expired I-20 leaves you out of status, so please contact the International Student Services staff as quickly as possible.

  • As a result of USA PATRIOT Act passed by Congress and signed into law by the President in the wake of September 11, 2001 terrorist acts, non-immigrants from certain countries are required to register their presence with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. This requirement is known as the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS). Anyone subject to NSEERS must update their registration at certain pre-determined intervals and notify BCIS of any change of address, employment or educational institution. Prior to any departure from U.S., these individuals must notify BCIS of their intended departure AND may only depart U.S. from certain authorized airports.

    • No. Non immigrants from the following countries are required to register with BCIS: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen. Countries can be added at any time to this list.

    • Individuals to whom these procedures apply must meet the following requirements:

      1. Register with BCIS upon entering the U.S.
      2. Be interviewed by BCIS within 30-40 days of entering the U.S.
      3. Be interviewed again by BCIS one year after entering the U.S.
      4. Continue to be interviewed by BCIS on the anniversary date of the last admission to the U.S.
      5. Inform BCIS within 10 days of any change of address, change of employer or change of school.
      6. Notify BCIS of their departure by departing the U.S. from a designated port of departure.
    • Initial registration occurs when you enter the U.S. from abroad. At the time you go through immigration inspection, if these procedures apply, you will be taken into another room. You will be fingerprinted and photographed. Also, you will be given detailed information about what to do regarding mandatory interviews.

    • Once you have entered the U.S., you are required to be interviewed by a BCIS officer 30 to 40 days after you have arrived in the U.S. For example, if you arrived on November 1, you must report to BCIS between November 30 and December 9 to be interviewed.

    • No appointment is needed. You must show up at the designated BCIS office. It is recommended that you arrive there early in the morning so you can be seen and interviewed the same day. It is suggested that you inform BCIS security guard that you are there as a result of special registration process.

    • You can only use the designated BCIS offices that have been authorized to conduct such interviews.
      The office is:

      Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
      550 Main Street
      Peck Federal Building
      Room 4001
      Cincinnati, OH 45202

    • You will again be fingerprinted and photographed. The BCIS officer may ask you questions regarding your stay and may ask questions related to the documents you bring with you.

    • If your stay in the U.S. extends to a year or more, you will be required to report to BCIS on each anniversary of your admission. You will have a 10-day window from the anniversary date of your admission to U.S. to report. For example, if you entered the U.S. on September 1, you will need to report to BCIS by September 10 each subsequent year you remain in the U.S.

    • You must notify BCIS of address changes or changes of employer or school changes within 10 days of the change by submitting a Form AR-11.

    • On the top left of the form, you should write "Special Registrant." On the top right of the form, copy the Fingerprint Identification Number (FIN) that was written on your I-94 card either when you entered the U.S. or during your 30 day interview.

    • For regular US Postal Service:

      Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
      Change of Address
      P.O. Box 7134
      London, KY 40742-7134

      For overnight mailings only:

      Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
      Change of Address
      1084-I South Laurel Road
      London, KY 40744

    • You must notify BCIS and leave only through a designated port.

    • Again you can only use certain designated ports. Consult the list of ports and plan your trip accordingly.

    • If you fail to comply with these registration requirements, you will be considered to be out of status. You may be subject to arrest, detention, fines and/or removal from the U.S. This could impact any future plans you may have to apply for any immigration related benefits. Decisions regarding the impact of any noncompliance will be made on an individual, case by case basis.

  • All international students and accompanying dependents are required to complete an income tax return annually. For most of you, this will mean completing the form 1040NR-EZ (U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return) and a form 8843. You are required to file an income tax return even if you have no income from U.S. sources, or if your income is exempt from U.S. taxes due to treaties between the U.S. and your home country.

    The U.S. tax system encompasses many different types of taxes (e.g., income tax, Social Security tax, sales tax, personal property tax) and three layers of taxation (local, state, and federal). You have obligations at several levels.

    Sources of U.S. income may include on-campus employment, scholarships, practical or academic training and any compensation received for labor. International students do not have to pay taxes on interest paid to them by U.S. banks.

    Note that income is not limited to wages paid to you in cash, but also includes that portion of your scholarship that is applied to your housing and meal expenses. The portion applied to your tuition fees, books and supplies is not counted as income. International Student Services will help you make these distinctions. Be sure to inquire about the applicability of any tax treaty that might exist between your country and the United States.

    For additional information, visit the United States Internal Revenue Services (IRS)

Print Directions
Turn By Turn:
Reset Close