We want you to successfully complete your studies at Hocking College. Please read and fully understand the following information regarding maintaining your immigration status, once you are a student at Hocking College.

  • Your passport must be valid at all times. Renewal applications can be made with the embassy or consulate of the country issuing the passport. Obtain a certificate of student status from Hocking College International Student Services. Addresses of embassies are available from the US Department of State.

  • International students are required to report all address changes to International Student Services within 10 days of the address change, by submitting an address change form. This includes address changes of any of your dependents, as well. You are required to turn this documentation in to ISS unless you are subject to the U.S. Government's Special Registration Procedures, then you must report address changes within 10 days to the government by using this form. Students are also required to report any changes in employer to International Student Services within 10 days of employment change, by using the same forms as above.

  • International students need to pursue a full course of study (12-16 credit hours) during normal enrollment periods (autumn and spring semesters). We understand, however, that serious events can occur that prevent you from being able to enroll full-time. The Reduced Course Load Certification form must be completed prior to dropping below a full-time status. Full-time at Hocking College is 12 credit hours for international students. You are allowed to deviate from this full course of study with prior authorization from an International Student Services advisor, and under very limited circumstances. You can drop below full-time only one semester of your entire degree.

  • Sometimes, and for a variety of reasons, students leave the College early or unexpectedly. Some of these reasons include early graduation, leave of absence, suspension, expulsion or family emergencies. Inform International Student Services if you plan to leave the College before the date on your immigration document (I-20), and the reason for doing so.

  • As an international student, you are permitted to work on campus for a maximum of 15 hours per week while school is in session. During holidays and breaks, you may be permitted to work more. Student Employment maintains a listing of part-time job opportunities and can help you find a position with an employer on campus. Working off-campus requires prior authorization from the U.S. Federal Government and/or the International Student Services, depending upon your visa status type.

  • You are currently authorized to attend Hocking College. If you decide to attend another school in the United States, notify International Student Services of your intent to transfer and the name of the new school. International Student Services will then enter a "Release" date in SEVIS. After this date is reached, the new school can issue you a SEVIS I-20. You will then have to report to the Designated School Official/Responsible Officer at the new school within 15 days of the program start date.

  • Apply for an extension of your program prior to the expiration date on your Form I-20, if you cannot complete your program by the original date. Requests for extensions must be submitted 15 but no more than 60 days prior to the expiration date of the Form I-20, so the extension process can be completed prior to the expiration date on your F-1.

  • Obtain a new Form I-20 before changing your academic program (e.g. from Accounting to Business Management) from an International Student Services advisor within 15 days of beginning the new program.

  • Notify International Student Services prior to traveling outside the U.S. so that the Form I-20 can be endorsed for travel or a new form can be issued, if required. Students should complete and submit an International Student Services "Travel Request Form" at least five working days prior to the anticipated travel date, although you are strongly encouraged to submit the form earlier. Please also notify International Student Services upon your return. F-1 visa holders need the following documents to re-enter the U.S. after a temporary absence:

    1. Form I-20 endorsed by International Student Services for travel
    2. Valid passport and U.S. F-1 visa
    3. Verification of adequate financial support
    4. Verification of enrollment
  • Notify International Student Services of any accompanying dependents in F-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g., full name, address, country of birth, etc.) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information, etc.) regarding those dependents. The International Student Services is required to report information to BCIS and/or DOS regarding your dependents.

  • Retain your I-94 card at all times. If you lose it, complete an application form I-102. A fee of $100.00 must be submitted with the application. After details of your entry are verified, a new I-94 will be mailed to you.

  • A valid visa is not required in order for you to maintain status. However, once your visa is expired you can only travel to your home country. When you intend to travel outside the United States and your visa is expired, you must visit the American Consulate/Embassy Office in your home country in order to get the visa stamp issued. To get your visa renewed, you will need a valid passport, a properly executed I-20, proof of financial support and/or letter of certification. A student visa cannot be renewed in the United States. If you are traveling in Canada, Mexico or other contiguous U.S. territories for less than 30 days, you do not need to get your visa renewed.

  • F-1 Students should obtain an I-20 to send to family members (spouse or children) who wish to visit the United States. The family member(s) will use the I-20 to support their application for an F-2 visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The Embassy/Consulate will require evidence that you have adequate financial resources for family member(s) support without recourse to employment. As such, you must furnish proof of financial support to International Student Services in the amount of $4,000 per year for a spouse and $2,000 per year for each child in addition to the amount needed for your own studies and living expenses. You must realize that under no circumstances will your spouse be permitted to take any employment after he/she reaches the U.S. F-2 children may attend elementary or high school. F-2 spouses or children are not permitted to study at the college level full-time without changing status to F-1. In addition, bringing family members to the U.S. is not considered a valid reason for needing employment authorization.

Always see an International Student Services staff member before you consider contacting the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service (BCIS.) The BCIS is a very busy agency and the officer answering your call may not have the time required to fully understand your problem. If necessary, International Student Services will contact the BCIS for you.

So that we may assist you properly, please bring your passport and all relevant immigration documents (I-20, passport, I-94) and financial documents when you come to International Student Services with requests. If at anytime you are uncertain about your status, require assistance or have any questions, do not hesitate to call an International Student Services staff member.

Print Directions
Turn By Turn:
Reset Close