Allied Health

Arts, Business & Science

Engineering and Information Technology


Natural Resources


Public Safety Services

Getting Started

Collapse Expand Adult/Returning Student
Collapse Expand Apply Online
Collapse Expand English as a Second Language
Collapse Expand First Time Student
Collapse Expand Housing
Collapse Expand International Student
Collapse Expand Life at Hocking
Online Military Students
Collapse Expand Parents
Collapse Expand Pay for College
Request Information
Collapse Expand Scheduling & Registration
Collapse Expand Transfer Programs
Collapse Expand Veterans
Collapse Expand Visit Hocking
Banner image
  • Send Page to Friend
  • Print This Page
Visa Information

Once you have been admitted to Hocking College by submitting the required documentation and fees an International Student Services staff member will issue you the Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student, F-1 Status).

F-1 Status

F-1 status can be attained by individuals having residence in a foreign country which he/she has no intention of abandoning, who is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study and who seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other learning institution.

F-1 students are foreign students who have been granted admission to the United States to pursue a full course of study at an academic or language institution. They are granted admission to the United States temporarily for the sole purpose of study and must have a permanent residence in a foreign country that he/she has no intention of abandoning.

Student Visa Application

Once you receive the I-20, you will need to go to the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence and apply for a student visa. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will require certain information to verify your eligibility to obtain admission to the United States as a non-immigrant student. Evidence of the following may be required:

  • Form I-20 signed and dated by Hocking College official
  • Valid passport for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S.
  • Letter of acceptance to Hocking college
  • Sufficient financial resources to defray all living and school expenses during the entire period of anticipated study in the U.S.
  • I-901 SEVIS fee receipt

Prior to Disembarking

You should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has authority to deny admission at the port-of-entry. You should be very careful to have all your documents in order upon arrival. Prior to disembarking from the airplane, the flight attendant will pass out a white-colored form called the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. You will need to fill out all pertinent information regarding your arrival in the United States.

At the Port-of-Entry

At the port-of-entry, an INS inspector will check the I-94 and your travel documents and stamp your passport and Form I-20 to indicate the entry date, location, non-immigrant classification and length of authorized stay. The INS inspector will return to the Form I-20. The I-94 will be attached to your passport.

The officer at the port-of-entry will report your arrival to SEVIS. Hocking College will receive that report. You should plan to report to Hocking College by the arrival date on your I-20.

International Student Services
Hocking College
3301 Hocking Parkway
Nelsonville, Ohio 45764