Data Analytics Program Description
Accepting Applications for Autumn 2021
The Data Analytics program at Hocking College is committed to providing students with extensive practical and professional knowledge pertinent and responsive to the dynamic fields of employment in the field. The faculty endeavors to teach students with sufficient depth and hands-on experience to allow students to critically examine issues related to resource allocation, complex problem solving, analyzing costs and benefits of solutions and communicating that information effectively.
The curriculum focuses on preparing students for modern data analytical methods. Students will learn skills that are universal for data analysis including systems evaluation, critical thinking, active listening and learning and the knowledge of tools and techniques used. The program and faculty prepare students to be competitive for entry level positions in the data analysis field. Graduates of this program will possess strong skills in problem solving, independent learning, project management and verbal and written communication.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2018) reported that the salaries for those with Bachelor’s degrees in Operations Research Analyst start out at $40.90 per hour or $83,390 per year nationwide. Ohio shows having an annual mean wage of $82,810.
Hocking College offers all-inclusive pricing and works with students to assure they have complete college funding, including financial aid, before they start classes. Please reference the course curriculum tab for program costs.
All-inclusive pricing includes the following:
$20........Health Center Services
$75........Career Center Services
Pricing for housing and meal plans can be found here.
*Recommended for all first-year college students.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are statements of what a student will be able to do when they have completed a program. They represent the knowledge and skills a program has determined are most important for students to gain from that program and include both the Success Skills (institutional outcomes) and Program Outcomes. SLOs are specific and measurable so the program can accurately assess the degree to which students have achieved each outcome, and they align with college and institution mission and values. Data on the achievement of SLOs is used to make improvements in the program and increase student success.
Outcomes from the Data Analytics Program at Hocking College
The following outcomes are skills, behaviors, and attitudes cultivated in students seeking a degree in Associate of Applied Science in Data Analytics:
- Analytical skills. Use a wide range of methods, such as forecasting, data mining, and statistical analysis, to examine and interpret data. Determine the appropriate software packages and understand computer programming languages to design and develop new techniques and models.
- Communication skills. Presenting data and conclusions to managers and other executives. Communicate technical information to people without a technical background.
- Critical-thinking skills. Determine what information is relevant to their work. Evaluate the costs and benefits of alternative solutions before making a recommendation.
- Interpersonal skills. Collaborate and work on teams. Convince managers and top executives to accept recommendations.
- Problem-solving skills. Diagnose problems on the basis of information given to them by others. Analyze relevant information to solve the problems.
- Writing skills. Write memos, reports, and other documents explaining their findings and recommendations.
- CE - Communicates Effectively
- PA - Maintains Professional Skills and Attitudes
- CT - Demonstrates Learning Critical Thinking, and Problem Solving Skills
- ET - Maintains a Code of Ethics
- HR - Practices Human Relations Skills
- MS - Demonstrates Math Skills
- GA - Demonstrates Community, Cultural
- IT - Implements Career-Appropriate Technology
To learn more about each of these, click here.