Website and Applications Development Program Description
Our program builds a foundation of knowledge in website and applications development. The curriculum is designed to help students acquire a broad range of transferable skills such as critical thinking, effective interpersonal communication, research, diversity appreciation and problem solving. In addition, the Associate of Applied Science in Website and Applications Development degree program provides the foundational basis for the bachelor’s degree in Web Development for interested students. Through community partnerships, we also provide real world experiences to supplement the academic course work.
Hocking College offers all-inclusive pricing and works with students to assure they have complete college funding, including financial aid, before they start classes. Please reference the course curriculum tab for program costs.
All-inclusive pricing includes the following:
$20........Health Center Services
$75........Career Center Services
Pricing for housing and meal plans can be found here.
*Recommended for all first-year college students.
A Career in Website and Applications Development Offers an Abundance of Opportunity
Although the top choices for graduates with Website and Applications Development degrees include web developers, multimedia artists/animators or graphic designers, many more possibilities are available.
As a graduate of the Website and Applications Development
QUICK FACTS: WEB DEVELOPERS
*Statistics based on Bureau of Labor Statistics
|2017 Median Pay||$67,990 / year • $32.69 / hour|
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Associates degree|
|Work Experience in Related Occupation||None|
|Number of Jobs (2016)||162,900|
|Job Outlook (2016 — 2026)||15% (Much faster than average)|
|Employment Change (2016 — 2026)||24,400|
Website and Applications Development Program Outcomes:
- Logic: Demonstrate a logical approach to problem-solving by identifying the inputs, activities, outputs, and outcomes in the development of web applications.
- Analysis: Appropriately analyze a problem, accurately identify client goals/tasks/challenges, perform research, and propose multiple solutions for a client's web application or data problem.
- Development Cycle: Implement the development cycle and apply knowledge of programming (application, web, data, and security) using industry standards, guidelines, and appropriate tools to gather requirements, develop (logic & code), compile, document, test, and quality assure software to meet the needs of the client.
- Languages: Apply current and evolving languages for integrating media and user interaction in both front and back end elements of a web application using current languages, editors and tools.
- Database: Construct, modify, implement, query, and maintain effective databases and their interface with applications.
- Coding: Develop and use code to accurately control the layout and coordinate the presentation of web content including validating data and handling exceptions.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are statements of what a student will be able to do when they have completed a program. They represent the knowledge and skills a program has determined are most important for students to gain from that program and include both the Success Skills (institutional outcomes) and Program Outcomes. SLOs are specific and measurable so the program can accurately assess the degree to which students have achieved each outcome, and they align with college and institution mission and values. Data on the achievement of SLOs is used to make improvements in the program and increase student success.
- CE - Communicates Effectively
- PA - Maintains Professional Skills and Attitudes
- CT - Demonstrates Learning Critical Thinking, and Problem Solving Skills
- ET - Maintains a Code of Ethics
- HR - Practices Human Relations Skills
- MS - Demonstrates Math Skills
- GA - Demonstrates Community, Cultural
- IT - Implements Career-Appropriate Technology
To learn more about each of these, click here.
New academic programs and curriculums being re-designed based on industry needs will have outcome data available after one complete graduation cycle.