Graduation is the process of receiving your diploma and having your degree awarded to you. You must apply for graduation even if you do not plan on attending the Commencement ceremony. An application is necessary to verify that you have completed all the requirements before a degree/certificate is awarded. The application is free, and must be approved by your school dean/faculty and the Registrar's Office.
Applying for Graduation
Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed below. Currently enrolled students must complete the Graduation application through their WebAdvisor account. Students who are not currently enrolled must contact the records office at 740.753.7042.
Graduation Application Deadlines
- Autumn graduates: Sept 23, 2016
All applications received on or before the deadline will be processed for the current term. All applications received after the deadline will be process the following term. Hocking College will only process graduates once a term. (Example: Sue finished all of her classes at the end of 2015 Summer term but did not apply for graduation until September 18, 2015; therefore, her application will not be evaluated until the 2015 Autumn term is completed.)
Graduation Frequently Asked Questions
- What must I do to graduate during a given term?
Before the end of the term, you must:
- Complete all classes required for your degree. Visiting your advisor is recommended.
- Complete all work, with final grade posted on transcript.
- Submit official transcripts for any transfer credits.
- Complete an Application for Graduation.
- What if I don't meet all the requirements by the end of the term?
- You will receive a letter letting you know that your application was denied. You will then need to work with your Academic Advisor to determine your next steps.
- Applications are valid for the original graduation term indicated only. If you are denied, you must reapply for the following term.
- What if I get an Incomplete (I) grade during my last term?
- You must complete the class before you are allowed to graduate. If you apply prior to completing the coursework, your application will be denied. Once the course is completed, you will then need to reapply for the term in which graduation applications are currently being accepted.
- I want to walk in Commencement, but I need to finish some classes in summer. Can I still walk in the Spring ceremony?
- Hocking College now offers commencement ceremonies each term. If you still have courses to complete for summer, you are welcomed to participate in our Summer Commencement Ceremony. Students will participate in the ceremony in which they applied for graduation.
- I've met all my requirements already, but I have not applied for graduation. What term should I apply for?
- As soon as you know you will meet the requirements, APPLY! It is recommended that students apply during priority registration for their last term. Students will only be allowed to apply for the term applications are being accepted. We recommend working with your Academic Advisor, they can be a help to this process. (Example: Sue finished all of her classes at the end of 2015 Summer term but did not apply for graduation until September 18, 2015; therefore, her application will not be evaluated until the 2015 Autumn term is completed.)
- When will I receive my diploma or certificate?
- Processing Degrees, Diplomas and certificates takes 6-8 weeks after the end of the term.
- Diplomas are not given out at the Commencement ceremony.
- You will not receive your diploma/certificate if you owe a balance on your account.
- All diplomas are mailed to the address listed on the Application for Graduation form. If you do not provide a valid address, your diploma will be mailed to the preferred address on file.
- I have two degrees. Will I get two diplomas?
Yes, you will receive a separate diploma for each degree.
- What GPA do I need to receive honors?
To receive an Honors degree, you must graduate with a 3.5 GPA or higher.
- Who is eligible to walk at the Commencement ceremony?
Students, who apply for graduation, may walk in the ceremony for the term in which they have had that application approved. For example: Autumn applicants, who have been approved, will walk in the Autumn graduation ceremony.
- How do I get a cap and gown?
- Students are required to order a cap and gown online at https://keyplusinc.com/html/hockingcollege_cgform.html. The order form will be available after the application deadline each term. The cap and gown is free for students graduating.
- What color is the Cap and Gown for Graduation?
- Every graduate will wear a black cap and gown. The tassel color will vary by major.
- Do I need tickets for my guests to attend the Commencement ceremony?
- What should I do if I receive an error message stating I am not eligible to submit a graduation application online through WebAdvisor?
- You must contact the Registrar's Office at 740.753.7122.
- How will I know that I have graduated?
- A preliminary evaluation will be completed prior to the end of the term. Students will receive a denial letter if your application is denied or a preliminary approval letter if you are on track to finish.
- Any student who receives a denial letter must work with their academic advisor to discuss the reasons.
- Preliminarily approval of a degree means that at the time of review, the students will meet all required courses by the end of the term. Students must complete all requirements satisfactory.
- I lost my diploma, how can I get a replacement?
- Requests must be made in writing and should include:
- Full name
- Current Address
- Student Id number or Social Security Number
- Date of birth, phone number to contact with questions
- Type of degree/major
- Check or money order for $15
Submit Requests To:
Attn: Registrar's Office - Diploma Requests
3301 Hocking Parkway
Nelsonville, OH 45764