Baking Program Description
If you are interested in a professional baking and pastry school program, head to Hocking College. Rated as one of the Top 10 Best Culinary Schools in Ohio by Best Choice Schools in 2017, Hocking College’s Culinary Arts program incorporates cooking and management skill training in a state-of-the-art cooking laboratory.
You'll learn the fundamentals of baking and pastry production as well as the management skills of the modern kitchen, leading you on a successful career path.
Hocking College offers all-inclusive pricing and works with students to assure they have complete college funding, including financial aid, before they start classes. Please reference the course curriculum tab for program costs.
All-inclusive pricing includes the following:
$20........Health Center Services
$75........Career Center Services
Pricing for housing and meal plans can be found here.
*Recommended for all first-year college students.
A Career in Culinary Arts Promises a Delicious Future
The demand for culinary graduates continues to increase.
Trained bakers are needed throughout the country in hotels, restaurants, resorts, hospitals, cruise ships, country clubs, and more.
Hocking graduates begin their careers as bakers, cooks, prep cooks and kitchen staff and are well-prepared for advancement.
One of the services used to help our graduates find jobs is through the Professional Chef and Culinary Network known as Chef Rolls. We also encourage graduates to keep their LinkedIn profiles up to date.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are statements of what a student will be able to do when they have completed a program. They represent the knowledge and skills a program has determined are most important for students to gain from that program and include both the Success Skills (institutional outcomes) and Program Outcomes. SLOs are specific and measurable so the program can accurately assess the degree to which students have achieved each outcome, and they align with college and institution mission and values. Data on the achievement of SLOs is used to make improvements in the program and increase student success.
- CE - Communicates Effectively
- PA - Maintains Professional Skills and Attitudes
- CT - Demonstrates Learning Critical Thinking, and Problem Solving Skills
- ET - Maintains a Code of Ethics
- HR - Practices Human Relations Skills
- MS - Demonstrates Math Skills
- GA - Demonstrates Community, Cultural, and Global Awareness
- IT - Implements Career-Appropriate Technology
To learn more about each of these, click here.
The following outcomes are skills, behaviors, and attitudes cultivated in students seeking the Associate of Applied Science in Baking:
- Perform advanced cooking and baking techniques and knife skills
- Operate a variety of industry-recognized commercial equipment efficiently, effectively, and safely
- Apply concepts of menu development, purchasing, inventory, food storage and labor including cost control and recipe conversion
- Identify and perform safety and sanitation measures involved in the food service industry, having passed the National Restaurant Association's ServeSafe Exam
- Perform nutritional techniques and procedures in the various areas of the baking and pastry arts
- Develop recipes utilizing the full scope of flavor, texture, visual appeal, and proper nutritional guidelines while maintaining appropriate production cost standards
- Successfully complete with a score that grants certification the CPC Certified Pastry Culinarian Examination
- All registered fall/autumn students with registration status for the following fall/autumn.
- Excludes special populations - College Credit Plus, Non Degree, Online Military and University Center.
Potentialfor upcoming fall/autumn excludes graduates from that fall/autumn, spring and summer terms.
|Academic Year||Retention Rate|
Graduation rates for the program are listed below.
|Academic Year||Graduation Rate|
You can earn certifications in the following areas:
- ServSafe Food Protection Management
- Hospitality Supervision
- Certified Pastry Culinarian